- Import contact data using the Consonance contact data spreadsheet template. Create new contacts, update existing contacts and associate contacts with a work.
- Click here to learn about the general importing process.
1. Add data to the contact template to import
- For each row in the spreadsheet template, complete one column or many.
- Some identifying column headings are required, others can be deleted if that helps your workflow.
- Required column headings to identify it as an import of contacts: Key names, Single name, Organisation name, amd Contact ID.
- Each row must have data in one of those required columns to be valid.
Note: Spreadsheets with unknown column names are rejected, so do not change or add column names.
New or update?
By default, a new contact is created for each row in your spreadsheet.
To update a contact already in the system, complete the Contact ID column with a valid contact ID from Consonance. You can see the contact id in the url of the individual contact’s page. It is the number before
Each row indicates if it is
NEW or an
UPDATE in the status column, in the draft item view. Even if all data matches exactly with an entry in the system, unless a system ID is in place, a new item will be created. You are able to mix new and updating contacts in the same spreadsheet.
Updating an existing entry overwrites some fields and adds to others.
When you are updating an existing contact in your system, some data fields will be overwritten, some will be added to. If it is a field that accepts more than one value, such as phone numbers, the new phone number is added to any existing ones. However, if it is a single value field, such as key names or ORCID ID, the value is overwritten.
Here is a full list of
Contact importer actions
|Overwriting||Titles before key names
Names before key names
Suffix to key names
In-house customer ID
In-house supplier ID
|Adding to||Phone number
Professional affiliation organisation
Professional affiliation position
All address fields
Add contact to an existing work
To associate a contact with a work that already exists in the system, complete the Work ID column with a valid work ID from Consonance and a valid contributor role. You can see the work ID in the URL of the individual work’s page.
Consonance provides tools to help you export IDs in bulk.
2. Contact columns
Multi-named person contact columns
- Titles before key names
- Names before key names
- Key names
- Suffix to key names
Single-name person contact column (i.e. “Cher”)
- Single name
Named company contact columns
- Organisation name
- Organisation acronym
If updating an existing contact
- Contact ID
Other contact information columns
- Address as
- Biographical note
- ISNI number
- In-house customer ID
- In-house supplier ID
- Phone number
- Fax number
- Email address
Mailing address columns
- Address: Organisation
- Address: Department
- Address: Sub-building
- Address: Building
- Address: Care of
- Address: Post Office Box
- Address: Line 1
- Address: Line 2
- Address: Line 3
- Address: Postal/zip code
- Address: Country code or name
If adding to an existing work
- Contributor role
- Work ID
3. Contact validations
|Professional affiliation organisation|